Charlotte’s summer weather invites a renewed focus on fitness. If you’ve got “beach body” inspiration but you bailed on the gym at the end of January, now is the perfect time to pick it back up.
No matter your workout style, there’s no need for an outdoor run in the 90-degree heat when you can focus on getting on a worthy sweat session indoors. “Indoor workouts can help create consistency, since people won’t have to worry about excessive heat, rain, bugs or other elements,” said Lauren Travis, owner of The Barre Code.
The Queen City offers a myriad of boutique options for every fitness style, so you can pass on the tired fitness routine in favor of an instructor-led spin class or cardio-centric boxing.
Check out popular spots or explore one of the city’s recently opened studios. In addition to new openings, existing gyms are offering summer specials you can find here to kick-start your fitness goals.
14154 Steele Creek Road
Chris and Kelli Narveson recently unveiled the newest addition to the Orangetheory Fitness franchise in the Steele Creek Park Plaza, making it the 27th location to open in the state. The coach-inspired, technology-tracked group workouts have gained traction over the past few years for their fast pace and metabolism-boosting movements.
“We are excited to bring Orangetheory Fitness to the Steele Creek community and help members live healthier, more vibrant lives,” said Kelli Narveson, the Orangetheory Fitness Steele Creek franchisee. “We can’t wait for the Steele Creek/Lake Wylie residents to become part the Orangetheory family and start seeing results from the science-backed, high-energy workout, regardless of their fitness level.”
4914 Old Sardis Road, Unit C3
Located in the new buildings of the Strawberry Shopping Center in SouthPark, StretchLab focuses on a highly customized stretching routine. A second location will open in Dilworth later this summer in Kenilworth Commons on East Boulevard, near Foxcroft Wine and Yafo.
“We focus on 1-on-1 assisted stretches and stretch classes to help individuals reach their personal flexibility and mobility goals,” said Steve Hitzemann, StretchLab studio owner.
Special: First-time introduction stretches in studio are 50% of the walk-in rate on 25- and 50-minute stretches.
424 E. 36th St., Unit 4
If you’ve tried barre but seek a faster-paced workout, The Barre Code may just be your next fitness endeavor. The studio goes beyond barre and offers cardio, strength and restorative workouts in three core class styles: Barre Code (barre), Total Body Conditioning (bootcamp) and Brawl (kickboxing). The classes focus on positivity and empowerment, so you will feel refreshed both mentally and physically post-workout.
“At The Barre Code, our indoor studio space sets the vibe with blue mood lighting, matted floors, curated playlists and a community of strong individuals working toward goals in a positive way,” Travis said.
1. Get $30 off your first month of unlimited classes with promo code SPF2019 (valid through 6/30).
2. New customers can get two weeks of unlimited classes for $49.
532 Gov Morrison St. and 1043 Providence Road
If you’ve ever dreamed of floating gracefully tangled in silks Cirque-du-Soliel-style, stop by AIR for an exhilarating experience that will strengthen and tone your core.
1. 100 Days of Summer includes unlimited classes for $350 (both locations).
2. Student special is 10 classes for $100 or 30 days unlimited for $100 (must show student ID and set up through email@example.com).
125 Winona St.
A combination of hot yoga and circuit training, Arrichion blends weights and HIIT with yoga to improve strength and flexibility in an upbeat environment. Keep an eye out for outdoor circuit classes (weather permitting).
Special: The Christmas in July special is $350 for unlimited classes 8/1 through 12/31. Offer available July 25.
2400 Park Road, Suite A
1. All 9:30 a.m. and noon classes are just $10 (versus the regular $20 drop-in).
2. All members can bring a friend for free (first visit only).
3. Bloc. also now offers their space to rent, starting at $45. Rentals can be used for a personal training client, a special event, a photo shoot or private classes. Optional amenities: locker rooms and showers, ample free parking, coffee, kitchen, community area and lounge, and fitness equipment. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
2935 Griffith St.
This mixed movement arts academy focuses on MMA, yoga, calisthenics and animal locomotion to tone the body and enhance individuals’ consciousness.
1. Intro to Budokon Program: $60 for one month of all classes plus discounted class gear rentals
2. Get 5 Budokon Yoga classes for $50 when you use promo code: BDK5 on their website.
8230 Poplar Tent Road #104
Choose from hot yoga, prenatal yoga, kids yoga, gentle yoga or deep stretch to begin your yoga journey with this locally owned studio.
1. New student special: two weeks for $25.
2. Postnatal Mommy and Me Workshop: $100. June 8 – 29.
3. Yoga Basics Workshop: $15. June 22.
4. Bali Retreat: $1,700 (one spot left).
5. Kids Yoga/Play: $5/class.
401 N. Tryon St.
This Uptown cycling studio encourages students to “ride to the beat” to break a sweat and tone. Check out their Sun Down, Wine Down outdoor disco rides on Wednesdays throughout the summer.
1. Three classes for $29 (new riders only).
2. $99 for 1 month of unlimited classes (new riders only).
1930 Camden Road #120
The only cycling location with RealRyder bikes in Charlotte, this studio offers spin, barre and strength training group classes to help clients reach their goals in an inclusive environment.
Special: Join the 8-week nutrition challenge with RxD Nutrition LLC. You’ll determine your own weight management goal, get a customized calorie and macronutrient profile and training schedule, begin with InBody composition testing and earn points based on the amount of classes you take at First Wind Cycling. The winner will receive a $150 cash prize.
200 W. Tremont Ave., Suite 103
Jamie Scott Fitness prides itself on taking a “different approach to wellness,” through combining HIIT, strength, toning and cycling for a myriad of exercise options all under one roof. Check out the newly launched TRX + SPRINTS class to get outdoors and raise your heart rate.
1. Unlimited personal training is $99/mo in June and July (limited time slots).
2. Unlimited teacher/student classes are $150 for 75 days.
3201 N.Davidson St.
Venture into the heart of the historic NoDa arts district for restorative yoga from an all-female-owned practice. If you’re looking to get outdoors, their instructors partner with SweatNet to offer unique experiences like rooftop yoga and Crowders Mountain meditation.
1. Summer Sale (5/24 – 6/15): 3 months of unlimited yoga for $350, or 6 months of unlimited yoga for $650. Teachers and students can receive an additional $25 off when they present a valid school ID (in-studio only).
2. Summer Solstice Flash Sale (6/21 – 6/23): 15% off all class packages with promo code: solstice.
210 Wilkinson Blvd., 230 E. WT Harris Blvd. and 929 Rea Road
Take your fitness regimen to the next level with boxing equipment, battle ropes, kettlebells and sleds in state-of-the-art studios equipped with color-adaptive lighting and hi-fi sound.
Special: Standing 8 Count (8 sessions per month) for $149/month.
8514 University City Blvd.
Created by local fitness and media professional Corey C’Yo Brown, this class infuses elements of hip-hop, jazz, African and Latin moves for an upbeat sweat session. Catch Corey at Lifetime Fitness in the University area at 7 p.m. on Mondays.
Special: First-time visitors can attend a class for free with a guest pass. Contact Corey at email@example.com or via social media to redeem your pass.
255 Clanton Road
This South End studio seeks to rebrand the typical “gym” through a combination of group classes, bootcamps, spin and personal training for a unique studio experience.
Special: Unlimited classes in 10 days for $20.
274 S. Sharon Amity Road #1
This yoga studio combines cardio, strength and flexibility to motivate students on the mat and in their personal lives.
1. Choose your 6 pack (buy 5 classes and get $50 off a massage or buy five classes and massage for $169 and get a complimentary ULTIMATE Y2 spa package including a robe, slippers, towel and golf towel).
2. Christmas in July: Get a yearly membership for $1,499 (save $769 vs. month-to-month).
Join one of 19 Charlotte YMCA branches for a traditional gym experience in your neighborhood coupled with fitness classes (over 1,700 weekly) and community activities. Prefer fresh air? Check their schedule for outdoor classes across locations.
1. If you’re a member and refer a friend who joins the YMCA of Greater Charlotte, you get a month free.
2. Weight loss plan: Join a Charlotte YMCA and get a complimentary appointment with a personal coach to design a weight-loss program.