What’s going on in SouthPark these days? A lot.
Here’s a quick look at what’s being built and opened in the area:
(1) Mixed-use development around Sharon United Methodist Church.
– Childress Klein wants to develop the 7.1 acres around the church for residential, retail and office space. The church would remain on the property at the corner of Morrison Boulevard and Sharon Road.
(2) Rusty Bucket Restaurant & Tavern.
– The 4,800 square-foot bar and grill is coming to Sharon Square and is set to open in September.
What’s in Store: Rusty Bucket Restaurant & Tavern to open this fall in SouthPark http://t.co/TYOc9W6MJp
— Charlotte Observer (@theobserver) May 18, 2015
(3) Mixed-use development at the Colony Apartments. Maybe.
– The project would include up to 1,100 homes, a 300-room hotel and a new grocery store. It would replace the 353-unit Colony Apartments at Sharon and Colony roads.
– That is, if it’s not blocked by a protest petition. Developers with neighboring projects signed a protest petition against the development.
— Ely Portillo (@ESPortillo) May 19, 2015
– The developers, Cameron and DeeDee Harris, own adjoining retail buildings that house Rooster’s SouthPark, a Walgreens and a food court. Ferncroft Morrison, which owns the Morrison shopping center, also signed on to the protest petition.
(4) Reid’s Fine Foods.
– Coming to the space formerly occupied by City Tavern. Goal is to open by Oct. 1.
(5) Lego Store.
– Plans to open this summer in the mall. Will include a space to play with Legos.
(6) Two 10-story office towers.
– Lincoln Harris is building the towers behind Piedmont Town Center. Each will be 240,000 square feet.
– The project also includes retail and restaurant space. The first is slated for completion in late 2015.
(7) Two apartment complexes.
Think traffic around there is bad now? Just wait.
Something we missed? Let us know.
Photo: Davie Hinshaw