This post is brought to you in partnership with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. All opinions are our own.
This Saturday, Oct. 19, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is hosting a School Choice and Enrollment Fair at the Wells Fargo Atrium in Uptown from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. You don’t want to miss this opportunity to explore your child’s options for the 2020-21 school year. Here are a few key details you need to know.
What to expect
One of the most important aspects of parenting is exploring all the education options available to your children. Not everyone learns at the same pace and in the same way, and it is a point of pride that Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools offers so many diverse choices.
“We are looking forward to seeing students and families at the fair,” said Director of Magnet Programs Walter Hall. “This is a great opportunity for families to learn about their options within Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. There are 97 magnet programs in 67 schools across the county that families have access to. We want to help students match their interests and talents to their school.”
The Fair will feature information on the magnet programs available to you and your kids, letting you take control of your child’s education. Also, you will have the opportunity to register your child if you are new to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system.
Plus, there will be entertainment for both parents and students! Come experience live demonstrations, school performances, a Lego station, and an opportunity to walk away with a free artistic memento of the day.
The lottery process
A unique aspect of the CMS system is its lottery process. These are the five steps that you need to take to enter the lottery.
- Enroll: if you are new to the CMS system, make sure your child is signed up 2020-21 school year and you will receive a special student ID and PIN for the lottery.
- Research: next, look into the options at the Fair, including programs and focus areas. Decide which options work best for your family.
- Visit: check out Information Sessions, Open Houses, and School Choice Information Sessions at the schools in which you are interested, and learn more about them at the Fair.
- Select: after deciding on focus areas and programs, pick three schools that offer those options. For assistance weighing your options, contact CMS.
- Submit: finally, you are ready to submit your application to the lottery. You can apply between Nov. 4 and Dec. 13, 2019, at cmschoice.org.
Transportation to the Fair
Need transportation to the Fair? CMS has you covered. Shuttles will leave from First Ward Creative Arts Academy, Irwin Academic Center, and the Central Campus of Central Piedmont Community College. Alternatively, you can hop on one of the CATS or LYNX Blue Line routes. If you drive, available parking (for a $5 fee) is located at the Two Wells Fargo parking garage on MLK Blvd.
Don’t miss this opportunity to explore new options for your kids!
To learn more about school choice options, check out the CMS school choice website.