Cali Stott of Cali Stott | Hair & Makeup Artistry shares how to perfect the hottest beauty trend of the winter season… the bold winter lip.
- The winter months can be tough on skin and lips so make sure to moisturize. If you find your lips are extra dry during the winter months, try using an exfoliator to remove the dry skin followed with a good lip balm. I’m in love with the lip scrub by Bite Beauty in Whipped Cherry ($18, Sephora.com). It doubles as an exfoliant and lip balm.
- Next, invest in and use a lip primer. A lip primer helps color go on smoother and last longer. I typically apply it to lips gently using my fingertips. Use a primer like MAC Prep + Prime Lip (Nordstrom.com, $17.50), or even something as easy as your foundation. Allow it to dry before applying your lip color.
- Outline your lips with a lip pencil that matches the shade of lipstick you are wearing. Using a lip pencil adds definition, helps prolong the wear of your lip color, and keeps the color from “bleeding” or “feathering”. Here, I used MAC Pro Longwear Lip Pencil in More to Love (Nordstrom.com, $21.00).
- Before you outline your lips, remember to sharpen your pencil for an even, precise line. To properly line your lips, start with an X-shape on your cupids bow and then follow the natural lines of your lips. Pro tip: Be extra soft with the pencil on the corners of your mouth to avoid creating a look that is too harsh.
- Finally, apply your lipstick or lip gloss. For this look, I used MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Rouge Liquid Lip Color in Pomegranate Pink (Sephora.com, $24.00). Balance this bold fabulous lip color with neutral eye shadow, a little bronzer and highlighter!