Mecklenburg is the first Carolinas’ county to break the 1-million person threshold, new census data shows.
– Officially, the county has an estimated 1.01 million people.
– Wake came up just short, with 998,691. Eventually, though, it’s expected to overtake Meck.
– The Charlotte metro area (Charlotte/Concord/Gastonia) bypassed the Pittsburgh region to become the 22nd biggest metro area in the nation.
– Regionally, Lancaster, S.C., and Union County saw the highest growth.
– Myrtle is the nation’s second-fastest growing metro area.
– Los Angeles County is the nation’s biggest, with 10.1 million people.
Lovin’ on Charlotte
— wigstheone (@wigstheone) March 24, 2015
— Kradel Team (@KradelTeam) March 17, 2015
Love charlotte. Love the people. Hate the traffic.
— Jn Frnk (@frank_jon) March 6, 2015
I could happily live in the Charlotte airport
— sophie (@Sophia_Schultz) March 21, 2015
Photos by Jeff Siner/Charlotte Observer