Gaston College has the following opportunity for a Writing Coach
Provide writing feedback and instruction to students in individual appointments and occasionally in small groups; promote the Writing Center on campus; participate in presenting writing- and research-related topics and conducting workshops across the curriculum; assist the Writing Center Coordinator with a variety of tasks depending on interests and expertise. Requires strong writing skills, knowledge of effective writing processes, attention to detail, strong interpersonal skills, and strong sense of curiosity, responsibility and ability to keep commitments. Diverse interests and broad writing/reading experience are helpful.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet with students individually and in small groups and select or develop instructional materials to meet students' needs.
- Deliver presentations to academic classes and student groups.
- Refer student clients to additional College services when necessary.
- Participate in scheduled staff meetings.
- Exhibit professional behavior with all College faculty, staff, and students
- Participate in ongoing review and improvement of Writing Center services.
- Serve as a resource on writing for the other Writing Coaches and the College community.
- Keep records as required.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution required (bachelor's degree in English or Communications preferred).
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution in English or Communications preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of one year of teaching experience preferred.
- Community college teaching experience preferred.
- Peer tutoring experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of both MLA and APA documentation required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint required.
- Experience with iPad, Apple technology, and Prezi preferred.
- Experience with instructional technology preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse student populations required.
- Ability to work at multiple campuses and various shift schedules required.
How to Apply