Happy back-to-school month! With the 2019-20 school year nipping at our heels, this is the perfect time to determine if your children are registered with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS).
As you start purchasing school supplies, laying out clothes, and gearing up for the new morning routine, CMS teachers and staff are getting prepared as well. Having accurate enrollment numbers means a wonderful year for every child.
The first day of school is Monday, Aug. 26. Here’s how to be CMS school ready!
Find out where your child is zoned
Unless your child has been assigned a magnet or alternate school, he or she has a guaranteed seat at your fabulous neighborhood school. Not sure which school you are assigned to? Click here, type in your home address, and click “school” on the tool bar on the left side of the page.
If you haven’t had the opportunity to see where your child will be learning this year, it isn’t too late to get a tour. Schools are open Monday through Friday and will be happy to show you around.
Register for CMS
To enroll your child with CMS, first visit the Web site to view the list of documents required to get your student registered for the upcoming year. Drop off forms at your neighborhood school and you are all set!
Do you need more assistance?
- Returning students. If your child is a CMS student and is headed to the next grade, congratulations — you are all set. You will be receiving transportation and open house information in the coming weeks.
- Siblings. If you have children already enrolled in CMS and one headed to Kindergarten or another grade this year, you do need to register him or her in their assigned neighborhood school.
- Lottery participation. The deadline has passed for enrolling your child in the lottery for the upcoming school year (201920). Visit the CMS site and learn how to participate in the lottery for the 2020-21 school year. Dates will be announced later this year.
- Pre-K and Bright Beginnings. Although we have no Pre-K Montessori seats available at this time, CMS does offer Pre-K to students with an educational or financial need through the Bright Beginnings program. To find out more information or to find out if your child might apply, visit this website.
- International Center. All students are welcome at CMS, and if you or your family have students whose first or primary language is not English, the International Center can help to ensure all students have equal access to education.
Now that you are registered for a wonderful year at CMS, get out there and enjoy the last days of summer!
Want to know more about Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools? Click here for more information.