UPDATE: Due to the effects of Hurricane Florence, the 2018 Dilworth Home Tour has been rescheduled for Sept. 21-22.
Tickets go on sale online today, Aug. 1, for the 2018 Dilworth Home Tour — and there are some unusual sights to see. The seven homes and gardens selected for the 46th annual, self-guided tour on Sept. 14-15 range in styles from a historic restoration to a transitional to an artful addition.
“Even though this is a historical district, that doesn’t stop us from evolving and changing with the times and modernizing,” said Valerie Preston, Dilworth Home Tour chair.
The tour changes with the times, too — every year, there is a different nonprofit that ticket sales benefit in addition to supporting the Dilworth Community Association. This year, a portion of the proceeds benefit New Dilworth Elementary.
Also, the featured houses on the tour shift from year to year, thanks to pitches by realtors, designers and neighbors. The point is to showcase the diversity of styles in Dilworth. And while the tour is self-guided, hosts and volunteers are positioned at each stop to answer questions and dole out information about interior design, unique features, history and more.
And speaking of unique, Preston dished on 13 of the most unusual finds in the various homes featured this year:
(1) Bedroom hidden behind a bookcase
(2) A “treasure” chest from the original owners found in an attic
(3) A phone cabinet
(4) Landscape design using only native plants, and no grass
(5) A bathroom without mirrors
(6) A grandfather clock with the face of William Wallace (I really want to see this)
(7) One of the oldest magnolia trees in Dilworth
(8) A Piebald Deer (note: only 2 percent of white tail deer are piebald)
(9) A home with a total of 6 owners — the first owner lived in the house for 75 years
(10) A home originally owned by R.R. Beatty of the old Charlotte drug store franchise
(11) Light fixtures original to the home in the arts & crafts style
(12) A home built in 1923 and sold that year for $3,150
(13) A chandelier from 1960 that has been moved from home to home by the owner
You could almost make a little scavenger hunt out of this year’s Dilworth Home Tour. Number 14 on the list of must-finds would be a glass of wine — Bonterra will be serving half-priced glasses of wine to tourists during the event.
The complete home tour list
2019 Park Rd
1513 Ideal Way
2125 Dilworth Rd. E.
809 Mt. Vernon Ave.
1910 Ewing Ave.
513 McDonald Ave.
823 E. Worthington Ave
Get tickets for the 2018 Dilworth Home Tour
Ticket prices: $25 in advance, $30 on tour days
Buy online: Take advantage of online ticket sales here. Note: Tickets purchased online can be picked up at one of the houses during the tour or at one of the ticket seller locations prior to the tour.
Starting after Aug. 15, find tickets at the following shops:
Dilworth Drug & Wellness (cash or check only)
Park Road Books (cash or check only)
Ultra Running Company
Tickets will also be available for cash purchase at the tour houses during the tour, unless the tour is sold out.
Dates/times: Friday, Sept. 14 from 6-9 p.m. and Saturday, Sept. 15 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Also stop at: The historic Brem House, which now holds Sodoma Law (211 East Blvd.). There will be limited Charlotte B-cycle bikes to ride for free during the tour.