You may not know Katy Kindred, but you probably know her last name. She’s one half of the husband-and-wife team that opened Kindred Restaurant, the popular and widely acclaimed chef-driven restaurant in downtown Davidson.
Katy and Joe opened Kindred just two years ago and it’s already been named one of the country’s best new restaurants by Bon Appetit, one of America’s 100 Best Wine Restaurants in 2016 by Wine Enthusiast, and Joe was recently named a semifinalist for Best Chef Southeast in the James Beard Awards. So yeah, the Kindreds are pretty darn good at what they do.
Katy Kindred stepped into the closet and joined us for this week’s episode of the CharlotteFive Podcast.
Joe, a Charlotte-area native, and Katy met in Chicago, and worked together in San Francisco before coming back to the Charlotte area. Both had been working under chef Jim Noble before they decided to open their own restaurant in 2015.
Now Katy and Joe are getting ready to open their second restaurant, Hello, Sailor, in the former Rusty Rudder location on Lake Norman in Cornelius. Katy said they hope to open the new spot this summer.
We talked to Katy about:
– Why the Kindreds decided to open their own restaurant.
– How the couple secured Kindred’s space in downtown Davidson (it involves gnomes).
– What to expect at the couple’s second restaurant, Hello, Sailor (and the story behind the name).
– And what it’s like to own a restaurant as a mother of three.
Also discussed on this week’s podcast:
– The 10 things you MUST do in March (and why a lot of people might be hungover March 12).
– How people are rallying around the refugee and immigrant communities in Charlotte.
– And what you should be doing
this weekend tonight.
The CharlotteFive Podcast — presented by The Charlotte Observer and powered by OrthoCarolina — is a weekly podcast that aims to get you Charlotte Smart, Fast with fun, interesting and useful news about the city. It’s hosted by Corey Inscoe and Sarah Crosland.
You can find The CharlotteFive Podcast on Soundcloud, iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher — and now TuneIn, which means you can ask Alexa to play the CharlotteFive Podcast on your Amazon Echo. It’s awesome.
Photos: LunahZon Photography