July promises to be a scorcher in the Queen City. As the temps continue to rise, local restaurants, breweries and bars are heating things up on their own with new menu items, specials and not-to-be-missed culinary events.
From new summer cocktails to updated menus, special dinners with Michelin-starred chefs to macaron-making classes, there is something for everyone and every palate. Also, these places have air conditioning, so you have no excuses to stay in.
Here are 19 places to go, along with some of the new things you should try this month. (If prices are not listed, they are not yet available.)
127 N Tryon Street, Suite 8
- Yellowfin Tuna Sushi Tots, crispy sushi rice, sriracha mayo, toasted sesame seeds, unagi nori. $15
- Mint Crusted Lamb Loin, pea emulsion, Yukon potatoes, bacon lardons, roasted trumpet mushrooms. $39
- Curry Roasted Chicken Breast, apple celery root puree, artichoke barigoule, braised apples, pickled mustard seeds. $26
- Rosé Flights, try four different styles during dinner service. $15
303 S. Church Street
Angeline’s has recently introduced new dishes to its summer menu, including crudo, chicken tetrazzini, gabagool pizza and a grilled caesar salad.
3920 Sharon Road, Suite 160
New kid on the block, Bar Marcel has recently added lunch service to its dining options. Menu items include the niçoise salad ($10) and the angus beef burger ($12).
4310 Sharon Road, Suite W01
New summer menu includes the following dishes:
- Parrillada de Verduras (Grilled Vegetables)
- Tortillitas de Camaron (Shrimp Fritters)
- Budin de Pan (Bread Pudding)
- Bistec a La Parrilla (Grilled Steak)
- Lamb Chops
- Braised Brisket Caldoso
3116 N. Davidson Street
Since July is National Ice Cream month, Crepe Cellar will feature different house made ice creams daily.
For the month of July, enjoy a happy hour (2-6 p.m.) at Dunkin’ with $2 medium hot or iced lattes and cappuccinos.
Dunkin’ is also introducing its new “Sweet Escape” line of HERSHEY’S flavors, including the Heath Bar & Cookies N’ Crème flavors. It has also added a Cookies N’ Crème donut and a Kit Kat Coolatta to its menu.
From July 1 – 31, Genghis Grill is offering an all-you-can-eat bowl. For one month, diners can purchase a Bottomless Bowl, a single large bowl, with endless refills. Mix it up — you don’t have to choose the same menu item each time.
3106 N. Davidson Street
Two new cocktails have also been added to the Haberdish July menu:
- Pure Gold is made with ghee-washed Absolut Elyx, pineapple curry syrup, lime juice and black pepper.
- I Want S’mores! is a cocktail made with Graham Cracker-infused Maker’s Mark, marshmallow root and coco nib gomme syrup, dark chocolate washed angostura bitters and topped with coco powder and a toasted vegetarian marshmallow.
Haberdish will also feature a Shrimp and Grits entree special for the first half of July.
511 N. Church Street
The McNinch House is now offering a three-course pre-theater dinner (without wine $89; with wine pairings $125). When you make a reservation for a three-course pre-theater dinner, you can park in the McNinch House lot at no charge, leave your car there and pick it up after the show. The restaurant is a 10-minute walk to the Belk Theater at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center.
2921 N. Tryon Street
July beer releases from NoDa Brewing Company include:
- Margarita Gose, a 4% ABV beer kettle soured and fermented on lime juice and tangerine puree mimics the classic Margarita, will be released on July 5.
- Very Berry Blond, a blonde ale with blueberries, blackberries and cherries, will be released on July 12. Note: this will be draft only.
- Caprese Beer received an overwhelming amount of votes and will be making a return on July 19 as the Favorite NoDable. This will be draft only and will be available while supplies last.
- 1010 Pearl Lager, a German-style Dortmunder Lager created by the American Homebrewer’s Association 2019 winner, will release on July 26.
220 E. Trade Street, Suite 2200
New food and cocktail options for July include:
- Blackberry BBQ Wings with batons of jicama and radish.
- Seared Pork Belly features Lexington sauce, pickled watermelon, drizzled with bourbon maple glaze and watercress.
- Heirloom Tomato Salad includes grilled corn, smoked goat cheese, toasted pine nut and drizzled with aged balsamic glaze.
- Just a Peach in Thyme cocktail is made with white rum, lemon juice, lime juice, fresh thyme, Sauvignon Blanc, peach syrup and finished with a splash of soda.
4777 Sharon Road, Suite 125
Available now through Labor Day Weekend, Oak Steakhouse is featuring a new $50 prix fixe menu featuring starters, entrees and sides.
Starter (choice of one)
- Caesar Salad – romaine, croutons, parmesan, Caesar dressing
- Oak Salad – mixed local greens, boiled eggs, red onions, croutons, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, carrots, creamy red wine vinaigrette
Entrée (choice of one)
- 8oz C.A.B. Filet Mignon – sautéed asparagus, butter, garlic
- 12oz Bone In Pork Chop – three-cheese risotto, pickled vegetables, watercress
- Grilled Salmon – cauliflower mashed, haricot vert, chestnuts, chimichurri
- Crab Cakes – grilled onion remoulade, quinoa, watercress
Side Options (choice of one)
- Brussels sprouts
- Truffle frites
- Fried onions
- Mixed mushrooms
- Whipped potatoes
- Creamed spinach
- Pork belly mac n cheese
- Crispy potatoes
- Shishito peppers
3120 N. Davidson Street
July doughnut specials include:
- Strawberry Daiquiri is a Strawberry-rum-lime glaze doughnut topped with whipped cream and fresh lime zest. (Available July 1 – 14 only)
- Sweet Tea is made with a sweet tea glaze and lemon peel. (Available July 15 – 28 only)
3410 St. Vardell Lane, Suite D
Roots Catering has launched new everyday and summer catering menus for everything from company lunches to events with friends and family.
1928 South Boulevard, Suite 200
235 N. Tryon Street
The Asbury has created a streamlined summer menu, and in the next few weeks will launch its full summer menu, which includes the new tomato sandwich ($7).
The Cowfish (and sister location eeZ Fusion) is debuting a brand new charity roll starting July 1. Carolina Panther, Greg Olsen, and Master Sushi Chef Rifali Almunir of The Cowfish, have created the HEARTest Yard Roll. With the purchase of every roll, $2 will be going to the Olsen’s HEARTest Yard initiative.
HEARTest Yard Roll features fresh tuna and Scottish salmon. $18
6706-C Phillips Place Court
Starting this month, the WP Kitchen + Bar summer menu will include:
- UAV Ricotta served with fermented honey, local peaches, petite greens and grilled bread.
- Spicy Pork and Beef Meatballs with tomato-basil garlic sauces and smoked ricotta salata.
- Wagyu Beef Carpaccio with pecorino, truffle aioli, petite greens and lavash.
- Sweet Corn Agnolotti with guanciale, carbonara and pecorino cheese.
- Grilled NC Rainbow Trout served with summer squash, cherry tomatoes and feta-saffron sage.
- Grilled Flat Iron served with grilled asparagus and potatoes bravas.
- Wood Oven Roasted Rainbow Carrots with fermented honey, stracciatella and pistachio crumble.
- Brussels Sprouts with crispy chickpeas, romesco and chili-lime salt.
- Asparagus with carbonara cream, egg yolk jam and crispy prosciutto.
July menu additions include:
- Amba Chicken Salad is rotisserie chicken with amba sauce (turmeric, cumin, fenugreek), celery and chickpeas.
- Lentil Salad includes beluga lentils with fresh garden squash, carrots and parsley.
Food-focused events in July
4th of July Pig Pickin’ at Sweet Lew’s BBQ
July 4; Noon until everything is gone
Sweet Lew’s BBQ
923 Belmont Avenue
MICHELIN on the Road featuring Joe Kindred of KINDRED and Hello, Sailor and Brandon Jew of Mister Jiu’s in San Francisco
July 7; 6:30 p.m. for cocktails
131 N Main Street
Davidson, NC 28036
Beer and Food Pairing Workshop
July 10; 5 – 8 p.m.
3132 N. Davidson Street
PlumpJack Wine Dinner at The Porter’s House
July 11; 7 p.m. (call to reserve your spot 704-930-7878)
The Porter’s House
7417 Waverly Walk Avenue
Roaring Riot Tailgate Tapas Tasting at Chef Alyssa’s Kitchen
July 12; 6:30 – 8:30pm
Chef Alyssa’s Kitchen
4001-C Yancey Road, Suite 100
Cocoa Lab: North Carolina Fare
July 13; 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
201 E. Trade Street
BLT Steak Charlotte Launches Monthly Summer Tasting Series
July 15; 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. (Rosé & Crudo)
110 N. College Street
Legiondary Field Day
July 20; 3 p.m.
Legion Brewing – Plaza Midwood
1906 Commonwealth Avenue
Curated with Chef Joya: A Culinary Exploration of Gullah Cuisine
July 21; 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Watermelon French Macaron Class
July 25; 6:30 p.m.
Sweet Spot Studio
4412 Monroe Road
Botanical Cocktail Dinner at the Porter’s House
July 31; 7 p.m. (call to reserve your spot 704-930-7878)
The Porter’s House
7417 Waverly Walk Avenue
1930 Camden Rd. Suite 135
Twenty Degrees Chocolates will soon be available at a new location at Design Center in South End. Those who frequent Petit Philippe in Myers Park are already familiar with these treats created by co-owner and Le Cordon Bleu-trained chocolatier Casey Hickey (her husband, Mark Meissner is the other owner).
2216 Freedom Drive
Restaurateur Jim Noble will open Noble Smoke, a restaurant focused on Southern barbecue. It is slated to open July 25.