Here’s some Good News: The Charlotte Observer/CharlotteFive is hiring a part-time podcast producer for a new podcast set to debut in early 2016.
Called “The Good News Is …,” this 15-minute podcast will talk about the news that makes Charlotte interesting. Every week will begin with a 5-minute overview of watercooler news topics in the Queen City – from new restaurants opening to the fascinating work of local personalities to exciting upcoming events – hosted by our own Corey Inscoe and Sarah Crosland.
It will spend the remainder of the time launched deeper into one particularly interesting story.
The podcast will rely heavily on the reporters and personalities in the CharlotteFive and Charlotte Observer newsrooms. The Good News Is … will have an upbeat vibe all about the people, places and things that make Charlotte a great city. It’s sponsored by OrthoCarolina.
(If you’re just interested in getting word about the podcast when it drops in early Jan., email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with Podcast in subject line and we’ll add you to the email launch list!)
About the job
The producer will play multiple roles, including creating a 6-week story budget, enlisting Observer/C5 reporters to participate, overseeing the recording, editing the final product and handling all marketing, with a heavy emphasis on social media. This person will also work with our sponsor on how to weave in their message in organic ways.
Ideal candidates will have: Experience in podcasts/radio/audio, excellent organizational skills, strong communication skills, editorial judgement, ability to coach reporters in the art of audio and innovative marketing skills.
- Create a podcast studio, including buying of equipment
- Edit and produce weekly podcast
- Create (in tandem with a supervisor) a story budget for six weeks worth of shows
- Enlist Observer reporters and local personalities to assist in creation of podcast, including obtaining live audio
- Prep podcast hosts each week
- Market podcast through a variety of methods, including social media, Observer products, iTunes/Stitcher/Podcaster/etc., partnerships, events, newsletter, etc.
- Work with underwriter weekly to ensure their message gets seamlessly included in weekly podcast
- 15 hours/week
If interested send Observer Innovations Editor Jen Rothacker, email@example.com, a resume and a cover letter, with at least 3 podcast topic ideas. Applications due Dec. 30.