It’s happened to you before. You’ve emerged from a concert or a round of drinks or an unfortunate haze of work to find that it’s almost 11 p.m. and you are starving.
There’s nothing but a half-opened bag of Beanitos and chocolate chips in your pantry, and you’re too burned out to deal with one of the few (oh, so very few) places for good late-night meals in town.
Thank the grocery store gods for 24-hour Harris Teeters. (Dear 24-hour Publix, where are you?)
All you want right now is to feel the sweet breeze of air-conditioning as the automatic doors slide open so you can raid the cereal aisle, the frozen foods section and — if you’re feeling especially ambitious and bold — the produce section. Because sometimes you just need to make a giant salad before you pass out on the couch.
One catch: If you live in Millennial Land (think NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Uptown and South End), you may need to drive a bit to get to your 24-hour grub destination.
Your Uptown, Kenilworth Commons and Myers Park Shopping Center stores close at 11 p.m. Your Central Avenue and Park Road Shopping Center stores are about to close at midnight. And, gosh darn, your Park Selwyn Terrace store already shut down at 10 p.m.
On a night like this, you just need to embrace the more suburban reaches of this region. A search of Google Maps reveals at least 17, 24-hour Harris Teeters in the greater Charlotte area.
When asked about why the store locations in and near center city don’t stay open around the clock, Harris Teeter representatives simply cited community landscape, lease requirements, as well as other demographic and economic considerations.
But I’ll give it to families in suburbia for possibly needing late-night family supplies. Especially if little kids are involved. The rest of us can subsist on crackers and peanut butter and wine.
Nonetheless, your late-night hunger satisfaction awaits at the following:
– Harris Teeter at Cotswold Village, 112 S Sharon Amity
– Harris Teeter at Morrocroft Village, 6701 Morrison Blvd.
– Harris Teeter at Quail Corners Shopping Center, 8538 Park Road
– Harris Teeter at Ballantyne Commons East, 15007 John J Delaney Dr.
– Harris Teeter at The Shoppes at Ardrey Kell, 16625 Lancaster Hwy.
– Harris Teeter at The Arboretum, 3333 Pineville-Matthews Road
– Harris Teeter at StoneCrest at Piper Glen, 7852 Rea Road
– Harris Teeter at The Shops at Blakeney, 9720 Rea Road
– Harris Teeter at Rosedale Shopping Center, 9925 Rose Commons Dr., Huntersville, NC.
– Harris Teeter at 2201 W WT Harris Blvd.
– Harris Teeter at Town Center Plaza, 8600 University City Blvd.
– Harris Teeter at Caldwell Crossing, 12190 University City Blvd., Harrisburg, NC
– Harris Teeter at Berewick Town Center, 4821 Berewick Town Center
– Harris Teeter at Steelecroft Shopping Center, 13000 S Tryon St.
– Harris Teeter at Springfield Town Center, 500 Mercantile Place, Fort Mill, SC
– Harris Teeter at 1811 Matthews Township Parkway, Matthews
– Harris Teeter at Plantation Market, 3100 Weddington Road
Photo: DDR Corp./Charlotte Observer